Don’t Try To Say I’m Confused

In March 2015 I called in late to work to take my cat, Hunter, who was struggling to breathe, to the vet. The vet said Hunter was in heart failure. The last time a vet told me a pet was in heart failure, I ended up losing my beloved dog, Magic. I was devastated.

The vet suggested I leave Hunter with him to see what he could do for her. I told him, no, I would stay. I called my school to say I’d be out all day, not just the morning. The vet administered lasik, but before the assistant could get in the room with a litter box, Hunter had peed all over me. I didn’t care. I was prepared to stay with her all day .

The vet came in and said actually, if I could take her home and keep her quiet, she would fare better than being there in his office where she would hear barking dogs from time to time. She needed to be kept calm and quiet.

So we loaded Hunter back into her carrier, and I was to bring her back later that afternoon for more checks and meds.

When I got home, I saw a bunch of people at the house next door. That house had been for sale for months, and it looked like whoever had bought it was moving in. The noise! The commotion! I was happy for my new neighbor, but did he have to be so loud? All the women who were there helping were yelling at each other at the top of their lungs. It was as if they were competing for the man’s attention.

The men, who were there, were doing loud things with loud machines. I was distressed that I had brought my cat home to more noise than a few barking dogs at the vet. Still I took her inside and tried to settle her in the quietest place in my house. I could still hear those unnecessary shouts from the women next door. When I looked out the window, I saw some of the yelling women were in the back yard yelling to the ones who were in the front yard. And the drills, and hammers and everything else they were doing to move that man in were so LOUD.

At one point, I lost it and went to the closed window and hollered at them, “Could you make a little more NOISE???” I doubt they heard me over all the racket. It was a miserable day for me.

Late that afternoon I took Hunter back to the vet. She was “holding steady” and he gave her more meds and said to bring her both before and after work the next day for medications and rechecks. He said it would be best to keep her at home, if that was possible. I told him “at home” wasn’t as quiet as I had hoped. He said it still was probably better than hearing strange dogs barking, which is what she’d hear at his office.

So for several days I took her before and after work to the vet for medicine and check-ups. Eventually the vet showed me how to give her medicine and I was able to go a little less often. She still wasn’t “out of the woods”, but he seemed hopeful that she would improve.

She did continue to improve. Right now her heart condition is stable. She’s lived longer already than I expected.

But this blog isn’t about her; it’s about my new neighbor who moved in the day I found out my cat was in heart failure.

As I began to notice my new neighbor, I decided he was about the same age as me, and by then I had stopped working due to disability. He looked disabled too. I thought wouldn’t it be nice if we became friends?

He was never open for that. Any time I glanced his way, if we were both outside, he avoided my glance. No doubt I’d made a terrible impression on him the day he moved in. Well, he didn’t  impress me either that day.

So . . . fast forward to this year. In March 2016, my old dog, Blackie and I got attacked by a neighborhood pit bull. Blackie needed expensive surgery and I ended up in the ER and later had many visits for Physical Therapy.

I had noticed in that year’s time that my new neighbor had a visitor who would come with large dogs. The dogs were never on leashes and once one of them ran at me and Blackie when I was walking Blackie. I screamed and screamed and finally the owner (or was it my new neighbor?) came out in a bathrobe and after calling their dog repeatedly, was able to get it to stop charging at us and go back towards him. That was before the pit bull attack, but it was frightening.

So . . . a few weeks ago, probably 2 or 3 weeks ago, I was out at 4:00 am with my dog and I saw two large dogs run from my new neighbor’s drive way and across my yard. It scared me to death. I quickly got my dog, who was on leash, just as she had been when the pitbull attacked us March 2016, back into the house. I could not stop shaking. I considered calling the police, but the last time I called, the police spent more time telling me I’d been rude to the 911 operator (who was playing 20 questions, asking the same questions three times, over and over until I lost it and told her to write it down! if she couldn’t remember, and quit asking me for my address as I knew it had popped up on her screen!, and I’d given it to her twice already.) But rather than help me, the police fussed with me. So I don’t call 911 any more. That night, even while shaking all over, I talked myself out of calling. What would they do? Tell me the animal control officer wasn’t on duty at that time of night? Finally I calmed down enough to decide I should call. So at 5:00 am, I called 911. That operator was actually nice. I told her about the dogs who visited my neighbor, and how I thought they were loose . . . a policeman was sent. I had told the 911 operator that I didn’t need to talk to him.

However shortly after he drove up, he shone a light on my house and I went outside to see if he wanted to talk to me. He said he had talked to my neighbor and there were no dogs. My neighbor didn’t have dogs and he was furious at being woken up. I said they were not his dogs, but belonged to someone who came to see him. No, the policeman said. There were NO DOGS. He didn’t see any dogs over there; he didn’t hear any dogs barking over there. I said I knew that. The dogs ran down the driveway, across my yard and were now loose somewhere in the neighborhood. The policeman repeated that all I had done was upset my neighbor for getting him woke up in the middle of the night, and IF I’d seen dogs at 4:00 am, why did I take so long to call?

I stood there wondering why he was so mad at me. When I complained about him later, I was told Hurricane Matthew was coming and he was probably upset over that. It seems the 911 operators and the police can act any way they want to. Funny, I thought they were public servants. I have often defended the police, as my grandfather was constable for years in our small town. I defend them no more. This is not the first time I’ve felt like the police here think I’m a confused, old woman who bothers them.

A few minutes ago I heard a dog bark. I checked to see if it was one of mine. No. I went towards the back of the house and looked out the window the next time I heard the dog bark, and the bark was louder this time.

Well. . . look at that. Two large dogs chained in my neighbor’s back yard and one was barking. I got my camera and took a couple pictures. I may send them to the policeman who said there were no dogs . . . I may print them out for future reference.

I’m old. I’m not crazy; I’m not confused. And if you act like I am, I will show you up the first chance I get in the most public way possible.

Not sure what I’m going to do with those pictures, but I am going to post one of them here. The dog on the right is bigger than it looks. He’s about the size of a pit bull. The one on the left is larger than that



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s